Thursday, December 27, 2012

regina spektor


Deborah Lippmann - Lady Sings The Blues

Hello everyone. Merry Christmas! I had some hiccups in swatching the last few days. Anyways! Pictured here is three coats of Lady Sings The Blues with two coats of Seche topcoat.

Lady Sings The Blues is a blackened blue jelly-ish base with large and medium-sized silver hexagonal glitter as well as regular silver glitter particles suspended in it.

I say ''jelly-ish'' not jelly because a true jelly would be more sheer. Lady Sings The Blues' base is so pigmented it actually overwhelms the silver glitter particles a tad much.

Okay I just want to point out that the silver bits that are not covered by blue base at all (in my pictures) didn't turn out like that straight from the brush. The silver particles actually were uncovered while I was applying Seche topcoat and the brushstrokes thinned out the delicate layer of blue base sitting on top of each silver glitter piece, revealing the sparkle. Hence, topcoat is a must!

I think Lady Sings The Blues is especially interesting because it's one of those amazing glitter shades that Deborah Lippmann creates so well. The colours aren't particularly unique - blackened blue and silver - but the outcome is pretty darn PRETTY.

Also, I don't know if this is the real inspiration for the polish but the name 'Lady Sings The Blues' matches the first line of lyrics of Regina Spektor's 'Lady'. She came to Singapore recently, I believe on Dec 22. Here's 'Lady' for your listening pleasure:


Well I feel the whole theme of the polish matches the mood of the song. It's kind of a brooding and beautiful song... and I love how Spektor's vocals really shines through in the track with just a piano accompaniment and the occasional saxophone. Just how the some of the glitter stands out so starkly amidst the blackened blue base. And at the same time, the others remain ''shadowed'' and semi-hidden.

Beautiful song and a beautiful polish.

Application was good, struggled a little with the overwhelming amount of glitter but there's no ''too much'' for me when it comes to glitter! I was quite sad when the second layer of Lady Sings The Blues hid some of the silver glitter from the first layer, but I realised later that it improves the texture and depth of the overall finished look.

Dry time was alright, I think... Just remember to wait a while in between coats and it will be fine. I think I spent more time, like 10 minutes between coats coz I was watching the old Les Miserables movie again. Also don't forget the topcoat! This polish dries kind of rough and you'll definitely want to smooth it out. One coat of topcoat is fine too; I applied two coats simply to prolong its wear on my nails.

This polish was purchased by my mom when she went to the US some time ago. She purchased this at Nordstrom which unfortunately does not ship to Singapore. :-( Well I am so lucky to be able to travel to US with my mom!

Can't wait to post more about my other nail polishes! Especially my butter LONDON ones. :-) Till next time!

x, Ish




No comments:

Post a Comment