Friday, June 22, 2012

beautysofly x showmeyourclaws #1 - hollandaise

OPI - I Don't Give A Rotterdam!

Hi everyone. First off sooo sorry for the late post. I swear I typed this post out a while ago but for some reason I cannot find it. So I'm re-writing this post. Okay anyways enough depressing news.

I was really excited to try out I Don't Give A Rotterdam! from OPI's Spring Holland Collection! Thank you BeautySoFly ;-) This collection came in two parts - cremes and what seemed like glass-fleck shimmer. I Don't Give A Rotterdam! was part of the glass-fleck half. (Everyone knows I don't like cremes... They just disappoint too much.)

I Don't Give A Rotterdam! is a grayish-blue jellyish-creme (ikr....no other way to describe it) polish, which contains medium-density silvery and slightly copper-toned glass-fleck shimmer bits which distribute themselves nicely in the bottle. The shade of blue is truly interesting - it's like 50% Columbia blue and 50% Air Force blue (thanks Wikipedia). It has a similar shade to Columbia blue but is darker and definitely more dusty and gray-tinged like Air Force blue. Okay this is the exciting part: I Have A Herring Problem - the sister blue shade to I Don't Give A Rotterdam! in the Holland Collection - has something like 60% and 40% of the above-mentioned colours respectively. Why would OPI release two such similar colours? Well I guess the tone of the polish base and the hue of the flecks add to or take away from the suitability of the polish with your skin tone... We'll see how that turns out when I swatch I Don't Give A Rotterdam! side-by-side with I Have A Herring Problem.

Swinging back into focus, I Don't Give A Rotterdam! actually really surprised me by how flattering it looked with my skin-tone! I remember debating which blue hue to purchase back in March: I Have A Herring Problem or I Don't Give A Rotterdam!. Before the launch of the OPI's Spring collection, I'd already heard raves about I Don't Give A Rotterdam!, about how it was going to be the star of the collection. I eventually settled for the former, though. Its base was just a shade darker and a little murkier - like it had a drop of swamp water. There was a hint of teal, too. Most importantly its glass-fleck shimmer was coppery-gold, which I felt would allow the overall hue of the polish to look much more flattering against my Asian skin tone.

Anyhow, I Don't Give A Rotterdam! looked surprisingly great and reminded me very much of Spring, with its pastel-like shade. I don't even know how to describe it. It was like... marshmallows. Marshmallows in Spring. You know, like how legit pastel colours look, but not too chalky? Marshmallow is the only way I can describe it! Like dusty marshmallows... Sleepy yet cheerful. It makes me think of the soft sunshine fanning across a vast field as dawn tip-toes over the flowers and the occasional tree. And baby bunnies waking up in a basket of gray blankets... but okay that was so irrelevant.

Application was wonderful too. Awful after just the first coat though, it's too sheer (hence my view of it having some jelly qualities); you'd really have to paint two slightly thicker coats or three thin coats. What I have is the latter pictured, without Seche topcoat (isn't it shiny!?), which I'd admittedly only left to sit for 5 minutes. I think it looks wonderfully glossy without topcoat too, I think this is another characteristic of this polish which leads me to think it's half jelly. It's got the fullness of colour of a creme, slicks on like butter and looks glossy. Like cream cheese with melted butter glazed on top! Omg do the Dutch make cheese? No clue lol but anyways

The dry time isn't too bad as well. However I do stress the base is really quite creme-y, if you dent the surface before the polish fully dries, it WILL leave ugly dents and there's no way you can hide them. The glass-fleck shimmer kind of serves as something to better match a variety of skin tones - cremes may sometimes look rather stark especially on skin tones which don't match the tone of the colour - and I think the glass-fleck shimmer really softened the starkness of such a light tone against my skin. Also the glass-fleck shimmer is another way OPI can keep up nail polish sales (''Newest nail look! Get it today!'') ... you get it don't you.

But it's not a bad hybrid, really. In fact it's pretty good! It's so in-between everything (cremes/jellies/shimmer/glass-fleck) that I really think it's good for all seasons. It's good for everyday use, if you're a fan of blues! The dusty look also makes it easy to wear. I still will never be able to pull off Mint green or straight out Baby blue nails... so I really love this colour. I definitely would put more care in applying this one like I do when I apply cremes, but trust me - this one's a keeper.

You may order this polish at BeautySoFly.com, there's still room for their 17th Spree!

On a sidenote: OH MY GOD... THERE'S A NEW OPI VINTAGE MINNIE MOUSE COLLECTION??!!?!! I just saw it on BeautySoFly. Why am I unaware of this until now... I'm still waiting for my Chanel dupes from the OPI Amazing Spiderman Collection!!! Holey moleyyy so many colours, so few finger nails... But fret not, I'll bring only the best ;-)

Okay back to reality: I'll try to swatch I Have A Herring Problem after this Burlesque manicure chips (it's chipping already :''(...) and since my camera was M.I.A., I had my friend snap a couple of shots for me with her DSLR, so I'll post the pics when she sends them over!

Well ciao for now, I'm sooo sleepy. Once again, thanks BSF ;-)

x, Ish











No comments:

Post a Comment